Friday, January 2, 2015

A New Year

(Written on new year's eve, just an hour before midnight)

It's New Year's Eve again. This day has been so many things for me. As a child, I was eager to stay up late and sleep on the couch bed with my mom and sip apple cider. 

Then it became a night where I cried my eyes out. I saw no hope in each new year. I just wanted it to end.

Then I partied my heart out to forget the pain. Drank, did drugs, and dealt as many lost people do.

And now, I'm happy to just be. To be here on the cusp of a new year. Happy to reflect on my growth. In many ways, it's just one more day. The animals still need to be cared for, chores still need to be done, bills still need to be paid, and my body still battles with illness. But hey, at least I get to have one more day and one more year under my belt.

Be safe out there! And have a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment